Episode 25: Completely First Class!
Click Here to listen to the show!
Welcome back to Completely Comics! Troy and Will cover three great topics on this week’s episdoe of Completey Comics. We catch up on the past week in our lives, talk about the new DC Comics’ Number Ones, and lastly talk about the X-Men: First Class Movie (Troy reconsiders his opinion of the Thor movie after watching the newest X-Men movie. Enjoy!
NOTE: The review of X:Men First Class contains mild spoilers.
1) Welcome to Completely Comics Episode 25: Completely First Class!
2) Update with the guys
- DC (the City)
- Easy A movie, thumbs down
- Byte Girl end of school year
- Twin Peaks on Netflix “Who Killed Laura Palmer?”
- Flashpoint mini’s
3) Comic Book News
- News of the week from comics
DC’s September Relaunches #1’s Run down (updated)
1. JUSTICE LEAGUE #1 by Geoff Johns and Jim Lee.
2. WONDER WOMAN #1 by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang.
3. AQUAMAN #1 by Geoff Johns, Ivan Reis and Joe Prado.
4. THE FURY OF FIRESTORM #1 by Ethan Van Sciver, Gail Simone and Yildiray Cinar. Jason Rusch and Ronnie Raymond are two high school students, worlds apart – and now they’re drawn into a sonspiracy of super science that bonds them forever in a way they can’t explain or control.
5. THE SAVAGE HAWKMAN #1 by Tony Daniel and Philip Tan. Carter Hall’s skill at deciphering lost languages has led him to a job with an archeologist who specializes in alien ruins – but will the doctor’s latest discovery spread an alien plague through New york City? No matte the personal cost, Carter hall must don his cowl and wings and become the new, savage Hawkman to survive.
6. GREEN ARROW #1 by JT Krul and Dan Jurgens. Oliver Queen is an orphan who grew up to fight crime as the Green Arrow, a billinaire playboy who uses his fortune to become a superhero – able to fight the most powerful super-villains in the univers with nothing but a bow and arrow.
7. JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL #1 by Dan Jurgens and Aaron Lopresti. A team of internationally-drafted superheroes fight each other and their bureaucratic supervisors as much as they do global crime.
8. MISTER TERRIFIC #1 by Eric Wallace and Roger Robinson. The world’s third-smartest man – and one of it’s most eligilbe bachelors – uses his brains and fists against science gone mad.
9. CAPTAIN ATOM #1 by JT Krul and Freddie Willians II. Captain Atom has all the power in the world, but no hope of saving himself. charged by nuclear energy, possessing vast molecular powers, he has the potential to be a god among men – a hero without limits. But the question is this: Will he lose himself in the process?
10. DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS #1 by Paul Jenkins and Bernard Chang. The anthology series gets a new look. A new series that will focus on multi-issue story arcs each featuring a different superhero from the DC Univere’s rich cast of characters, as told by some of comics’ most exciting writers and artists.
11. THE FLASH #1 by Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato. The Flash knows he can’t be everywhere at once, but what happens when he faces an all-new villain who can?
12. GREEN LANTERN #1 by Geoff Johns, Doug Mahnke and Christian Alamy.
13. GREEN LANTERN CORPS #1 by Peter Tomasi, Fernando Pasarin and Scott Hanna. When deadly conflicts emerge across the universe, it’s up to Guy Gardner, John Stewart and an elite Green Lantern strike force to keep the peace.
14. GREEN LANTERN: THE NEW GUARDIANS #1 by Tony Bedard, Tyler Kirkham and Batt. Who are the New Guardians? The power of Rage, Avarice, Fear, Will, Hope, Compassion and Love combine to be the most powerful (and colorful) team in the corps under the leadership of Kyle Rayner.
15. RED LANTERNS #1 by Peter Milligan, Ed Benes and Rob Hunter. Going solo, Atrocitius and his Red Lantern Corps return in thei own series, battling against injustice in the most bloody ways imaginable. This Lantern Corps takes no prisoners, they are judge, jury and executioners.
16. BATMAN #1 by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo. Bruce Wayne once again becomes the only character taking on the Batman name.
17. DETECTIVE COMICS #1 by Tony Daniel. The series will find Bruce Wayne on the trail of a dangerous serial killer known only as the Gotham Ripper.
18. BATMAN AND ROBIN #1 by Peter Tomasi and Pat Gleason. The caped crusader battles the Gotham underworld with the help of his son, Damian.
19. BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT #1 by David Finch and Jay Fabok. A twisted adventure that pulls Bruce Wayne deep into the halls of the famed Arkham Asylum, the houses Gotham City’s most dangerous and criminally deranged.
20. BATWOMAN #1 by J.H Williams III, Haden Blackman and Amy Reeder. The highly anticipated series begins!
21. BATGIRL #1 by Gail simone, Ardian Syaf and Vicente Cifuentes. Batgirl’s going to have to face the city’s most horrifying new villains as well as sdark secrtes from her past.
22. CATWOMAN #1 by Judd Winnick and Guillem March. Meet Catwoman. She’s addicted to the night. Addicted to shiny objects. Addicted to Batman. Most of all, Catwoman is addicted to danger. She can’t help herself, and the truth is – she doesn’t want to. She’s good at being bad, and very bad at being good.
23. BIRDS OF PREY #1 by Duane swiercynski and Jesus Saiz. The Birds of Prey are Gotham City’s covert ops team, taking down the villains other heroes can’t touch.
24. NIGHTWING #1 by Kyle Higgin and Eddy Barrows. After a tenure as the Batman of Gotham, Dick Grayson resumes his mantle as Nightwing! As Dick embraces his identity, Haley’s Circus, the big top where he once performed with his family, returns to Gotham – bringing with it a history of murder, mystery and superhuman evil. Nightwing must confront friends and enemies from his past as he searches for the source of an even greater evil.
25. RED HOOD #1 by Scott Lobdell and Kenneth Rocafort. Batman’s former sidekick had put his past as The Red Hood behind him, when the reclusive Jason Todd finds himself unwillingly elected as the leader of an all-new team of outlaw vigilantes. As The Red Hood once again, Jason Todd will lead this new team of antiheroes, including Green Arrow’s rejected sidekick Arsenal and Starfire, a former prisoner of intergalactic war.
26. BATWING #1 by Judd Winick and Ben Oliver. The first black character to wear the Batman mantle will star in his own solo series. Fresh from the pages of Batman, Inc.
27. SWAMP THING #1 by Scott snyder and Yannick Paquette. For years, one man served against his will as the avatar of nature. And while he may have been freed of the monster, he’s about to learn the monster will never truly let go of him.
28. JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #1 by Peter Milligan and Mikel Janin. John Constantine Deadman, Shade the Changing Man and Madame Xanadu are a band of supernatural heroes united to stop the dark things the rest of the DCU does not see.
29. ANIMAL MAN #1 by Jeff Lemire, Travel Foreman and Dan Green. Buddy Baker has gone from ‘super’ man to family man – but is he strong enough to hold his family together when Maxine, his young daughter, starts to manifest her own dangerous powers?
30. DEMON KNIGHTS #1 by Paul Cornell, Diogenes Neves and Oclair Albert. Set in the Middle Ages, the Demon leads an unlikely team to defend civilization and preserve the last vestiges of Camelot against the tide of history.
31. FRANKENSTEIN, AGENT OF SHADE #1 by Jeff Lemire and Alberto Ponticelli. Frankenstein and his network of strange beings work for an even stranger government organization the Super Human Advanced Defense Executive.
32. VOODOO #1 by Ron Marz and Sam Basri. Priscilla Kitaen has just found out she’s a monster. A half-alien hybrid, the woman known as Voodoo must confront the secrets of her past to make sense of the nightmare her life has suddenly become.
33. RESURRECTION MAN #1 by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning with Fernando Dagnino. The cult favorite character returns in a new series. Its the story of a hero who wakes up with new powers each time he’s killed.
34. I, VAMPIRE #1 by Josh Fialkov and Andrea Sorrentino. Tortured by his centuries-old love for the Queen of the Damned, Andrew Bennett must save humanity from the violent uprising of his fellow vampires, even if it means exterminating his own kind.
35. LEGION LOST #1 by Fabian Nicieza and Pete Woods. Seven heroes from the 31st Century have traveled back to the present day, and find themselves trapped in a nightmarish world and an ultimate struggle to survive.
36. LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #1 by Paul Levitz and Francis Portela. In the 31st Century, the Legion is reeling from the loss of seven of their finest – and trying desperately to keep their young recruits alive against a series of terrible new threats.
37. TEEN TITANS #1 by Scott Lobdell, Brett Booth and Norm Rapmund. Tim Drake is forced to step out from behind his keyboard when an international organization seeks to capture or kill super-powered teenagers. As Red Robin, he must team up with the mysterious and belligerent powerhouse thief known as Wonder Girl and a hyperactive speedster calling himself Kid Flash in Teen Titans #1.
38. STATIC SHOCK #1 by John Rozum, Scott Mcdaniel and Jonathan Glapion. Virgil Hawkins has been gifted with incredible electrical powers. Adopting the persona of Static, he faces super-powered street gangs, raging hormones, homework, and girls.
39.HAWK & DOVE #1 by Sterling Gates and Rob Liefeld. It’s up to the living avatars of war and peace to root out the hidden forces who look to plunge the country into a deadly civil war.
40. STORMWATCH #1 by Paul Cornell and Miguel Sepulveda. Stormwatch is a dangerous super human strike force whose existence is kept secret from the world. Jack Hawksmoor and the rest of the crew look to recruit two of the deadliest super humans on the planet: Midnighter and Apollo. And if they say no? Perhaps the Martian Manhunter can change their minds.
41. BLACKHAWKS #1 by Mike Costa and Ken Lashley. Blackhawk is an elite group of mercenaries made up of brave men from around the world equipped with the latest in cutting-edge hardware and vehicles. Their mission: Kill the bad guys before they kill us. A set of contemporary tales that battle the world’s gravest threats.
42. SGT. ROCK AND THE MEN OF WAR #1 by Ivan Brandon and Tom Derenick. The grandson of the original Sgt. Rock assumes the command of Easy Company, a team of crack ex-military men financed by a covert military contractor, as they brave the battle-scarred landscape carved by the DC Universe’s super-villains.
43. ALL-STAR WESTERN #1 by Justin Gray, Jimmy Palmiotti and Moritat. Even when Gotham City was just a one-horse town, crime was rampant – and things only get worse when bounty hunter Jonah Hex comes to town. Can Amadeus Arkham, a pioneer in criminal psychology, enlist Hex’s special brand of justice to help the Gotham Police Department track down a vicious serial killer? Featuring back-up stories starring DC’s other western heroes.
44. DEATHSTROKE #1 by Kyle Higgins, Joe Bennett and Art Thibert.
45. GRIFTER #1 by Nathan Edmondson, CAFU and BIT. Ex-black ops agent Cole Cash is a charming grifter that few can resist. And yet he’s about to be branded a serial killer when he begins hunting and exterminating inhuman creatures hidden in human form – creatures only he can see. Can the biggest sweet talker of all time talk his way out of this one when even his brother thinks he’s gone over the edge?
46. OMAC #1 by Dan DiDio, Keith Giffen and Scott Koblish. A man loses control of his life as the omnipresent Brother Eye transforms him against his will into a powerful killing machine.
47. SUICIDE SQUAD #1 by Adam Glass and Marco Rudy. Harley Quinn! Deadshot! King Shark! They’re a team of death-row super villains recruited by the government to take on missions so dangerous – they’re sheer suicide! Who will be the first to crack under the pressure?
48. BLUE BEETLE #1 by Tony Bedard, Ig Guara and Ruy Jose. It’s not easy being Jaime Reyes. He has to deal with high school, family and all the drama that comes with being a teenager. Also, he’s linked to a powerful scarab created by an alien race who seek to subjugate planets – or annihilate them. It’s up to one teen hero to turn this instrument of destruction into a force for good.
49. ACTION COMICS #1 by Grant Morrison and Rags Morales. This momentous first issue will set in motion the history of the DC Universe as Superman defends a world that doesn’t trust their first Super Hero.
50. SUPERMAN #1 by George Perez and Jesus Merino. What is Superman’s startling new status quo? How does it affect his friends, loved ones and his job at The Daily Planet?
51. SUPERGIRL #1 by Michael Green, Mike Johnson and Mahmud Asrar. Supergirl’s got the unpredictable behavior of a teenager, the same powers as Superman and none of his affection for the people of Earth.
52. SUPERBOY #1 by Scott Lobdell , R.B. Silva and Rob Lean. They thought he was just a failed experiment, grown from a combination of Kryptonian and human DNA. But when the scope of his stunning powers was revealed, he became a deadly weapon.
4) Review of X-Men: First Class
5) Wiki of the Week – Darwin’s History: http://marvel.com/universe/Darwin#ixzz1LRJPt7iO and http://marvel.com/news/story/16039/x-men_from_film_to_comics
6) Muy Bueno and honorable mentions
7) Contact Information: Email us at email@example.com or search Completely Comics on Facebook. Or leave a voicemail at 641.715.3900 and enter extension 694617#
Help out the show by buying any of the mentioned comics via this affiliate link: http://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=637329P01
Click Here to listen to the show!